I’ve started travelling by plane since the age of 2 so my 26 years of experience makes me qualified in sharing some knowledge for travelling.
- Pack light: I used to bring outfits for each day I spent abroad and winded up leaving some stuff behind at the airport since I always shop on holidays.
- Wrap your clothes into your hand luggage: I’ve gone over the weight of my luggage more than once. It’ll also save you more space and weight for even more shopping.
- Hand wash your clothes: if you have a tropical destination, the balcony is the best dryer ever.
- Sleep on the road: I’ve spent a big amount of time on the road so in case you haven’t had a good night sleep (jet lag), those power naps in the taxi, train, planes, etc. are pure awesomesauce.
- Have no shame in bargaining (especially in Asia): the salesmen buy the products for peanuts so even when you’re satisfied with the price, they’ve still made a profit.
- Keep your passport safe: when traveling in a part of the world where theft is common, I use underwear with hidden pockets (no shame whatsoever).
- Don’t keep your cash and your credit cards at the same place: keep the money in your pockets and your cards in your bag. If one gets stolen, you still have the other (happened to my mom).
- Do your check-in and the plane won’t leave without you in it: had a one hour delay cause we were waiting for another flight that was delayed for transit.
- Check-in your luggage together so even when you pass the maximum weight, most airlines (except low-costs) are willing to accept the extra couple of kilo.
There are many more mishaps to share with you but that shall be for another post: Travelling Tips & Tricks Part II: Travel budget